Sunday, February 28, 2010

Running again!


I was really timid about starting to run again. My pulmonologist told me in mid January that I still had one spot on my lung that could be a little bit of pneumonia or could be a spot that just had not cleared up from my bout with pneumonia. He asked that I get another x ray in another month. So, I was scared to run because in my mind there was a possibility that I still had a touch of pneumonia and I didn't want to push myself. I didn't admit this to anyone and just kept it moving. My focus was primarily on spinning and swimming and walking/jogging a little on the treadmill due to the weather and walking outside. I went back to see him on Thursday and the spot on my lung is gone. So today, I ran. Did you hear that?? TODAY I RAN!!! Well... I jogged, but we won't get all technical about it.

My friend Adrienne committed to running the GW Classic with me on April 25th and to start training with me at least once per week for the next 8 weeks. Isn't it funny how I am recruiting all of my friends to train with me?? I wonder if they realize what I'm doing?? I drove out to her house and showed up bright and early at 8am even though flurries were falling. I pretended that I didn't see the flurries when she first brought them up, in fear that she would say, "oh hellz no, I ain't running in the snow!". She was a trooper about it and put on her skiing gear and we headed out. We tried to go to this cool park in Rockville but the paths were snow covered, so we ran in her neighborhood. We covered 2 miles. Mostly running. We did walk a bit, but I feel like we ran more than we walked. The goal is to eventually cover the distance without walking. The total distance that we will cover without stopping one day is 3 miles. THANKS ADRIENNE FOR RUNNING WITH ME!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to get in some training today on the treadmill at the gym. I'm pushing myself to run the whole 5K in May. Good for you for getting in some run time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I agree we definitely ran more than walked. 3.1 miles here we come. Let's not forget our first Wed evening session. See you in two days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladys: I believe in you! You can do it girl!!

    Adrienne: we are on for Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete