Thursday, February 25, 2010

Breathing!


The Travel Diva and I hit up her fabulous gym today for a run on the treadmill and a splash in the pool. She offered to help out a wanna be Triathlete that can't swim and of course I took her up on her offer! She has the patience of Jesus! We started out by trying to get me to relax in the water and not tense up like somebody that's about to get tasered. Once again I freaked out while on my back, but I committed to practicing the backstroke between now and our next meet up.  We moved it over to the lap pool and tried to get me to perfect turning and breathing while I freestyled. She said that my technique was good and we started to work on me not stopping so quickly. I kept stopping and panting and I didn't know why, until we were about to get out of the pool. I realized that when I come up for air, instead of taking a big deep breath in, I was breathing out when I lifted my head out of the water. Therefore, I was not taking any air IN and getting tired and having to stop. So now that we have identified what the problem is, I will be more mindful to take in a big gulp of air when I take my head out of the water. Sounds like common sense, huh? Well, it wasn't for me.... Before long, I will be swimming the entire length of the pool. And next? I will be swimming laps baby! Yes, ME swimming laps! You... betcha!!!! Thanks Travel Diva!! You are EVERYTHING!!!!

5 comments: