Sunday, February 14, 2010

On my back


Today I started the  American University's Masters Swim program for Triathletes and joined the beginners group. The other members of the group are NOT what I would consider beginners. I feel that some of them should have been in the intermediate group. I learned from my last swim instructor that I am not comfortable on my back while swimming or trying to float. Guess where we stated out today? You betcha... on our backs! She first asked us to swim the length of the 25m pool and back so she could see what she was working with. I did make it down and back with a few breaks. However, when it was time to get on our backs, baaaby, I PANICKED. The instructor worked with me through it and gave me instructions while the class moved on to turning and doing all sorts of other fancy stuff. The entie 90 minute class, I worked on swimming on my back and not sinking...

I spoke with the folks who run the program. They encouraged me to come to the daily swim practices and promised to help get me up to speed. Appartently, some of the people in our beginner's class are doing the beginner's for a secon time. Unfortunately, I won't be there next weekend, but they said that if I come to practice they would get me up to speed. This is really not a good time for me to take a weekend trip, as I will miss a gear clinic with my club too. But, I have committed and spend my hard earned cash on this plane ticket, so I'm going. I can really see how this sport can consume all of your time. I really want to be good and to get there I need to practice. I hope that Dawn and I can get in some runs and maybe even a spin class while hanging out this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment