Saturday, February 13, 2010

Learning to breathe


Today I got back in the water after a week's break due to this chemical dermititis situation that I had. When I think about it, I wonder if it was really the chlorine that did my skin in or if it was that product that I left on my face a little longer than usual after swimming the last time. My face was tight and itchy, so I thought leaving this stuff on would help and that's when the problem started. Anywhoo.. my face has peeled and looks much better (even smoother than before), so I headed back to swimming lessons today.

I really didn't perfect what my swim instructor taught me the last time and needed some more help with technique. I really have it now and she taught me some new techniques today. I am learning to breathe while swimming. I read that there is a cadence while swimming too and you should breathe like every 2 or 3 strokes, but I just didn't understand how. Well today, she taught me the techniques I practiced them. Once I get this down, I will be able to swim for longer periods of time and I can't wait.

American University has a  6 week Masters Swimming program for beginners that I will be starting tomorrow. I'm thinking that swiming with this group, my private instructor and praticing several times a week will get me to average swimmers status. Then there will be  6 weeks left after the Masters Swimming program and these private lessons for another run with a private instructor to fine tune my skills before my first Triathlon on May 9th.




No comments:

Post a Comment