Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I just don't get it


I just don't get it. Kids can do it, the mentally challenged can do it, hell there are even some 70+ year olds at the dang pool doing it, but I JUST DON"T GET IT!! This is so frustrating to me. I figured that I would sign up for some private lessons, join a swim group, do what I am told, practice and whala.... I would catch on and be swimming in no time. NOT. I see what they are doing. I understand what they are telling me to do. However, when it's my time to try it, I freak out because I'm on my back or I can't breathe or I just don't do things in the proper order and wind up with lungs full of water. *sigh* The other night I felt like I had a small pool in my belly with the amount of water I swallowed.

I just don't get it. And it's frustrating. And it's making me re-think this whole personal challenge that I have set for myself. But I can't quit just yet.  I will go to practice in the morning, take a few days off while traveling and will re-commit to it. I will practice daily and go to AU to get some help. If I am not comfortable by my next group meet, then I may have to re-think this thing for real. I want to get it. I truly do. I WANT TO GET IT!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Understanding that I am NOT a swim teacher, but I've been swimming for a really long time and perhaps if we spent some time in the pool together (with someone that you don't feel any pressure from, doesn't have an order or steps) you might have some better luck. If I can teach my husband (with no body fat) how to float on his back and a 5 yr old terrified of water to finally jump in and get her face wet, perhaps I can help you with the "getting it." I dunno, but I'm willing to help.

    Don't give up. Call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there!! When I was taking swimming lessons in college that would happen to me. once I got over came the FEAR the body would relax and i would float and start learning some arm/leg movments. Keep up the good work you will get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becca, I'm right there with you. We're in the same position as TriNewbies. Don't force it and don't think of the time-line in which you have to learn. I know it is being said over and over again, but try to relax and just let yourself go. It will come to you. Once you get the technique down and start swimming, its just building upon that skill from there.

    You are indeed doing GREAT, and you WILL GET IT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up, Becca! Just keep going and doing. It will come!

    ReplyDelete