Friday, February 12, 2010

Heart Rate Monitor


I am in love with my Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)! I think I am turning into a techy/geeky chic because I can't wait to get this other one that measures distance too! I put on my HRM today before I headed out for another day of trekking through the snow. I went to my friend Jolie's house and walked her mommy to the store and back and then I walked to the gym. By the time I got to the gym, I noticed that I had burned almost 900 calories already, so I was syked!!That gym is always packed! Man, folks in Columbia Heights believe in getting their work out in! I'm usually opposed to standing in lines, but no one was in front of me, so I waited for a treadmill. The goal was to run 30 minutes. I ended up walking/running it, as I was getting shin splints and had to take little breaks (and breathing breaks too, if I'm totally honest). It took me 30 minutes to cover 2 miles, but I did it. When I got off, I realized that I still had a little more in me, so I decided to do 30 more minutes of cardio. There was a longer line for treadmills, so I jumped on an elliptical machine.

I walked home, dug my car out for 1 1/2 hours and when I got inside, my HRM showed that I had burned 3,285 calories for the day!! See, with my HRM giving me that much feedback, it encourages me to be more active. I will try to continue to walk to the gym. If I can do it when there is snow on the ground and I can't drive, then I can do it at any other time. My HRM has encouraged me to live a more healthy lifestyle. Yes, it's confirmed, I love my HRM. He's my new boo. What shall I name him? How about Timex?

3 comments: