Saturday, March 13, 2010

Survival strokes


I had my private lesson today and we worked on the finishing touches in perfecting my freestyle stroke (which I think may be the same stroke as the front crawl. I need to figure that out). She asked if I wanted to learn any other strokes today and during my last session with her next week. I told her that I needed to know some survival/oh shit/I'm tired strokes while swimming in the lakes and rivers during my Triathlons. She asked if I knew how to tread water... I had to shamelessly admit that not only did I not know how to tread water, but I didn't even know what it would look like. I had to tell her that I know how to do absolutely nothing besides the freestyle stroke that I just learned. So, we decided that I must learn to side stroke, back stroke, tread water and breast stroke. I think that it's pretty imperative that I know some other things to do, just in case I need to while out there during my races.

Both my private lessons and lovely (insert sarcasm here) group lesson at American University ends next week. I believe that I will continue with another round of private lessons and a group. I signed up for a group at the eastern market pool for group lessons and have an idea of the private instructor that I will go with.

My body is tired from this killer 1 hour spin class today and 1 hour of swimming today. I will try to get out to run or ride my bike tomorrow, weather permitting, before heading to the lovely group swim class at AU. I hope I don't have to bite that instructor's head off this week...

3 comments: