Monday, March 8, 2010

Baby steps


I met up with Neisha at the Takoma Park pool today. We are both learning to swim and seem to have an issue with breathing, so we got together to help each other out. See, the thing is, we have both gotten a lot of instruction and know what we are supposed to be doing, so we were able to critique each other and try some different things to help each other. We identified our problem with getting tired and having to stop as breathing out too forcefully under water and not getting enough air in as a result of that. In addition, we are both kicking way too much (Trudy told me this last week) and we are wearing ourselves out.

I did have make a MAJOR improvement tonight by swimming the entire length of the pool. DID YOU HEAR/READ THAT?? I SWAM THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE POOL and I did it multiple times!! I wish I had counted how many times, but I was too out of breath to even think about keeping track. At one point, Neisha and her friend timed me and it took me 34 seconds to swim 25 meters. At least I was consistent, as it took the same amount of time to swim back across the 25 meter pool (after catching my breath). Although I was out of breath each time I finished swimming a 25, I did it. And it did it over and over!! I am SO proud of myself! Neisha and I along with another wanna be Triathlete committed to meeting at Takoma's pool every Monday evening and we vow to all be Triathletes this year.

Today I took baby steps. Soon I will be swimming laps. Soon and very soon.

Tuesday: Run with Adrienne and swim
Wednesday: Spin and swim with Travel Diva
Thursday: REST

2 comments:

  1. Congrats...somehow as newbie's we were really able to help each other out. See you soon for a swim, bike ride, or maybe a run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have my schedule down, too! Making progress, you! That's good!

    ReplyDelete