Thursday, March 25, 2010

How much is too much?


I have read that one of the toughest things to do while training for a Triathlon is balancing out training for all 3 sports. At our very first training meeting they told us that it is important to:

 #1. be consistent and train 6 days per week
 #2. take a day to fully rest
#3. don't let it take over your life (which is easy to do)

I have definitely done all of the above and some weeks I have taken 2 days to rest.

What I have not been doing is sticking closely to the training schedule, because I feel that I actually need to do more just to able to get to where I should be at this point. For example, if I did not commit to getting into the pool for 3-5 days per week for 6 weeks, I would not be able to swim 10 laps in the pool and keep up with other beginner's in my Tri club. So, while some may think that I have been over training, I had to do what I had to do just to be able to be able to train. And now that I can swim, I still tire easily, so I can't slack off. I need to be able to swim without getting so tired and cover the distance (and maybe even a little bit more than the distance) of the race.

So, the question lies: How much is too much? I know that I probably should not be doing anything physical besides training for the Triathlon and I have decided to give up the extra stuff that I was doing to increase my endurance and get into better shape. I really don't want to risk hurting myself by over training and if I will do anything extra, then perhaps, I will spend more time on the bike as the training club leaders suggest. They really don't suggest adding more running days on, due to the extra pounding on your body. I do have some races coming up and I know that I have to get my lungs conditioned. I have only been running like 1 day a week and I need to increase that to 2-3.

Let's see how I have done so far this week:

Monday Plan: Rest  Actual: 30 min swim class (this was almost like a rest day--she talked a LOT)
Tuesday Plan: Bike 45 Actual: Spin 45 + Swim 30
Wednesday: Plan: Swim 30 Actual: Bike 45 + 30 min swim class
Thursday: Plan: Bike 45 Actual: Ran 30
Friday: Plan: Swim 30 Actual: Rest


1 comment: