Saturday, May 1, 2010

The wetsuit and lake experience

Triathlon wetsuits are designed for speed and warmth during an open water swim.

Take note that there is no zipper in the front on the picture above. Or on ANY wetsuit. These things are extremely hard to put on. It's like putting on an extra think pair of pantyhose that's too tight (don't ask me how I know that feeling). The lady gave me a few tips on how to get it on easier and she handed me mine with them almost turned inside out and instructed me to call her so that she can zip me up... I stepped in like she instructed and worked.... it up. When I was finally ready to flip the top up to work my arms into it, I noticed that the zipper was in the front. I worked my arms in and then I thought.... "hhmm... now why should I call her to zip this up? I am more than capable of doing so." Thinking nothing of the zipper being in the FRONT of my wetsuit, I stuck my head out and called the girl for her help. This guy caught sight of me and told her out loud that I put the thing on backwards, which was obviously pretty hilarious to everyone in the very packed store. After fighting with that thing to get it on backwards, I was not happy about fighting to get it off and then on again the correct way, but I did.

The instructor that took me out to swim in the Lake was the best! She hugged me when we met up and just immediately made me feel more at ease. We sat and talked for awhile before I got into to the freezing azz Lake Reston (we think it was about 60 degrees). She was really good with helping me to get acclimated to swimming in  a lake. I think the best thing that she could have instructed me to do was turn over on my back. This was for me to learn that the wetsuit helps me to float and that I can not sink. She told me to take a breath with every stroke and look where I am going often. We worked on a few things and then I got out. She said that we will do more on Tuesday and believes that I will do fine on May 9th and beyond.

This experience taught me the importance of remaining calm, that the wetsuit is really my friend and that I can do this! I'm sure that I will be even more sure of my ability between now and race day. The one thing that she wants me to do is work on building my endurance in the pool. So, back to swimming laps again with no breaks or flipping to my back when I get tired.

Who would have thought that I would be swimming in a lake not long after learning how to swim for the first time?? I ROCK!!


No comments:

Post a Comment