Saturday, May 15, 2010

Swimming in the Chesapeake Bay


The first group swim in the Chesapeake Bay is behind me. The water was cold, but I was prepared for that. There were currents, but I was prepared for that too. What I wasn't prepared for was how HARD it was going to be to swim. I found that I got tired easily and it was tough going, but I didn't freak out or get into any trouble. It was so hard that I got mad that I didn't have more endurance. But I am committed. It will get easier and I will be able to go for a longer time before I get tired. I am committed to swimming 20 laps at least 2 times a week to build endurance. 20 continuous laps which equates to 1000 meters (my race is only 750 meters). I will get stronger. I will!

We dried off and got on our bikes for an hour and  a half ride. We went through Annapolis which has some hills, so it was tough. I still don't have the gear shifting thing down, but I went for an hour and a half and covered nearly 20 miles!

The one thing that I have to remember is that it is tough for everyone and what's important is that I finish. Today, I finished and that's all that matters.

Next up: Swim Clinic again on tomorrow in the Chesapeake Bay. I'm hoping to find someone to run with me when I make it back to DC.

2 comments: