Tuesday, May 4, 2010

There comes a time...


I'm sure that it is pretty normal at some point during training for a Triathlon that you begin to question your level of insanity. Today I did that. I also realized that sometimes there comes a time to re-evaluate the circumstances and re-strategize. I did that today too. I went for my second swim lesson in Lake Reston today in advance of this Sunday's Kinetic Sprint Triathlon. The plan was to use it as a test race prior to my big race on June 20th. I was feeling pretty confident until today.

The wind was blowing and there were currents and fish and a whole family of ducks and my goggles were all fogged up and I couldn't see my instructor in the kayak and pollen was on top of the water and... all of a sudden, it was like, I forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I started thinking about what to do with my arms and my legs and tried to backstroke and found my self screaming, "I NEED A BREAK". My instructor was right there with the kayak. I grabbed a hold of the kayak like it was going to save my life. I started to tell her how I'm not ready... and I can't do it... and I need more time....

She was really patient and made me realize that I am doing more than most people ever would. She reminded me that I am doing more than I could do 5 months ago. She reminded me that I am extraordinary for just signing up to do a Triathlon. She brought me to shore and asked me to tell her 3 things that I did well. We talked about some things and together realized that, yes perhaps I do need more time. I calmed down and then she went out into the lake a bit in the kayak and had me to swim to her. I rested and then swam back to shore. We did this about 4 times and each time she went further and further out and gave me some tips. By the last time, I felt like she was way to close to shore and I could have swam further.

The new plan is to swim in the lake weekly and at least 2-3 times between that, work on building my endurance. I will work on swimming 16 laps in the pool comfortably (which is the distance of my race) but work my way up to swimming 20 laps comfortably, as it is always better to know that you can go a little further than you have to.

So, there comes a time when you have to realize that you need a little more time. I will not be doing the Kinetic Sprint Triathlon on this Sunday. By no means am I quitting. I'm just taking the time that's needed. I have 6 weeks until my goal race on June 20th and by all means I will be ready!!


2 comments:

  1. Set backs make the victories sweeter. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Nothing of value comes without being earned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You good Chica. And see...you made it so I didn't have to get up early this morning. :)

    (P.S. I don't know what happened to my comment from the other day.)

    ReplyDelete