Wednesday, April 21, 2010

OCD or just wanting to be prepared??


"As you get closer to your goal race(s), try to spend more time on the road and as little time as possible training indoors"

I read this online on active.com tonight. It was in an article on traveling while training for a Triathlon. It jogged my memory of a comment by a good friend tonight when I expressed my concerns with traveling for work next week while preparing for a race. Her comment: "Well, we know that you are OCD...". My response was that I didn't want to drown (we were talking about me not being able to swim in preparation for a relaxer that is needed prior to my trip and not swimming while on my trip due to just getting a relaxer and the thought of what I was going to do with my hair. See, black women and hair maintenance can be a major issue with all of this swimming and working out). As the only minority woman in my company, I feel that I can't change my professional look to an urban one and therefore the dilemma...

So, am I OCD or just desiring to be prepared?? I think it's the latter. Triathletes who are swimmers already train hard. I am starting at a disadvantage as a new swimmer and cyclist and trying to get back into running. I want to be able to not only compete, but finish. I don't think it's OCD if I just want to be considered average. I just want to finish...

2 weeks off from swimming (1 week to prepare for a relaxer and 1 week while at a meeting) is making me nervous. The day after I get back, I have a swimming lesson in a freaking LAKE.

It's not OCD if you are not prepared. It's just called getting prepared.... *hard stare*****

6 comments:

  1. In this case isn't both complexes the same?...? You might have an OCD in preparation. You know what your weak in and you want to make that as much of a strength as possible. I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure lake swimming is completely different than pool lap swim. Bottom line, just getting in the starting lane is a major accomplishment because you don't line up if your not prepared and finishing is an even bigger accomplishment. Stay focused and on track Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on the hair thing Becca. I am the only Black person in my law firm, and have gone back and forth about what to do with my hair. It's so annoying because if I change my hair in the slightest I get comments on it (even if I just go from wearing it down to wearing in a bun). Fortunately, the comments haven't been negative at least not to my face...LOL!

    Now, I've decided to go natural and will be transistioning slowly as not to shock my co-workers. I've already given my office manager a heads up. I really don't think they will have a big problem with it. I find more Black people have more of an issue with a woman going natural(i.e. my grandfather) then White people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are OCD for wanting to be prepared. It is also not OCD just because you are focused on your training and your goals. Now the hair thing...that might be another story.

    While I am not the best person to discuss hair issues, I wonder why it is imperative to get your hair relaxed for your meeting. Is it possible to just blow it out and flat iron your hair into a nice style without putting more chemicals in? What is going to happen to your relaxed hair when you get back in the pool?

    I'll be glad to help you with practicing or whatever you'd like. I'm here to serve. Whatever you decide to do...we got your back. You are not OCD. Just prepared & focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a relaxer on Sunday and sweated up a storm in my hair as I worked out yesterday. I'm at the point where I don't care what happens to my hair as I train for this race and continue working out with B. I'm with Lisa. Do you necessarily need to get a relaxer for the meeting? Maybe buy a short hair styled wig to get you through the meeting and still swim while on travel? No, you're not OCD...just being prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neither. You're simply being realistic.

    Let's face it...the concern about your hair in your field is a valid one. Not because of how YOU feel about it but because of how idiots with preconceived notions about Black hair do in corporate America. You can't jeopardize your professional coming into question based simply on your hair. I know it's dumb as hell...but it's simply the realistic truth of the matter.

    We should spend an entire day trying out new and different things you can try until you grow it long enough to pull it back into a ponytail. Let me know when and I'll start doing some research and get some products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I have a question. Can you wear a swim cap. When I was younger and permed I would swim with a swim cap. It protects your hair from the chlorine. As for the lake it will not effect your hair except for the fact that it is wet. Depending on how clean the lake is whether or not you will need to wash it vs blowing it dry.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete