Sunday, June 6, 2010

Envision


I'm starting to envision myself crossing the finish line. After my lake swim lesson today, I feel more confident about the swim leg of my race. I still can't say that I am 100% confident, but I trust that I will feel this way soon. Although I have swam more than the distance of my race in the pool, I won't have that sense of complete confidence until I swim the distance or more in open water. Swimming in a constrictive wet suit with currents changes the game. It's not the same as swimming in a pool at all. Today I swam 100 meters and it was hard as heck. I took a break, re-grouped and then swam 400 meters non-stop. I stopped for tips and instruction and swam my last 300 meters before getting out. So, in total I swam 800 meters which is the race distance, but I did not do it continuously.

I now know that after the first 100-200 meters I get into my groove and it gets easier. I was thinking about my form and all of the instruction that I have received and how I need to keep my heart rate low. I felt like I could have kept going. I want to swim the complete distance  of the race at least twice in open water before race day with my instructor. I think that once I do that, I will be confident for race day and I can envision myself ripping off my wetsuit and hopping on my bike and ultimately crossing the finish line to get my metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment