Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Respect the hills!


There are certain things in this Triathlon sport that will gain your respect and one of those things are HILLS. Running hills are tough as heck, but try cycling up them jokers and you are in for a nasty word that is an antonym for a treat.

I went for a bike ride on Sunday with Shani and Neisha in Virginia. Shani had found a loop that would take us from Shirlington, around the airport and back to Shirlington. She mentioned that it wasn't a completely flat course and I wasn't fazed. I just figured that  I could handle it, as I usually do. I guess it really didn't help that we had a little bit of confusion as to whether or not we were crossing at this intersection and some people went and my friend started to go and I started to go and then she stopped and the girl behind me ran into me and I lost my balance and CRASHED. I got up and made it across the street with bent handle bars and a newly squeaky bike. We fixed it best we could and kept moving. Although my bike computer wasn't registering and gears were not shifting right. So, when we hit the first hill with malfunctioning gears.... it was TOUGH. The hills on that ride which turned out to be 18 miles round trip gained my respect.

I reached out to my mentor today and we have committed to getting together once weekly to ride hills and work on gearing properly to get up and down hills. I think I may need to do some squats and stuff to strengthen my legs too. Those hills are no joke. I plan to run in Rock Creek Park weekly again this year and master a few of those hills and the one by Cardoza this year. Last year, the one by Cardoza kicked my butt repeatedly. This year, I want that hill to respect ME! Okay, off to bed now. I'm getting delirious....


No comments:

Post a Comment